Saturday 10 December 2011

Our Podcast!

Click here: Spanish Stereotypes



Ángel: Good morning! We are a group of students of University of Seville and we have to do an interview for our task of New Technologies. We would like to talk to an English native speaker about stereotypes. Would you like to participate with us? Just five minutes, do you mind?

Tim: Yes, of course. I’ll be delighted

Mª José: I would like to know why you decided to come to South Spain, especially to Seville.

Tim: I decided to come to southern Spain because for me it really appealed the culture part because when you think of southern Spain, Andalusia has everything that Spain has offered, and the small areas were better than the North or the East or the West. So south of Spain has everything that is good about Spain.

Nuria: About stereotypes…What did you think you would find here before coming?:


Tim: Well, it’s pretty natural for an American or for a friendly foreign to think that all the men are bullfighters and all the women are “flamenco” dancers and so I guess I can’t have that mentality coming in but from early on it was obvious that not all Spaniards are either flamenco dancers or bullfighters.


Clara: It is said that Spanish women are one of the most beautiful in the world, what do you think about it? 

Tim: (laugh) Well... I don't have to agree, I would say the same. They are definitely beautiful and it's an honour to be walking round the same city as them.

Espe: Did you think that in Spain everyone would speak English for being the official language in the world?

Tim: I guess I came with the mentality that a lot of people would speak English and because of that I was surprised because not as many people speak English here as I expected but it turned out to be a good thing for me because I have been able to practice my Spanish with almost everyone on a daily bases.

ÁngelSo do you think it is difficult to live in Spain without speaking Spanish ?


Tim: I would say yes.  It is very important to be able to communicate simple things on a daily basis, like asking for something in a restaurant, or to ask for directions of some places you don’t know how to get to. So.. it makes life a lot easier if you do speak at least a little bit of Spanish .

Mª José: What did you think about Spanish food before coming?

Tim: Spanish food, honestly I did not too much about it. I had heard stories from my friends that come about the Spanish omelette, the “tortilla” but I didn’t really know what to expect and surprisingly now it′s my favourite plate so, for me it is hard to imagine going back to... food... back home after having found much Spanish food. It′s gonna be terrible.

Nuria: Is it true that Seville is always hot?:



Tim: Always hot…? For a long time it was haha! (laughing) All summer and other way up to November it seems like, but just remarkable is can get a cold and that I’m not very happy….but because I didn’t bring enough jackets.


Clara: Do you think that people in Spain are more friendly? All the time hugging, kissing, lovely...?

Tim: I agree with that. There is definitely an elevated sense of affection that shows here in Spain, whether means hugging the first person you meet for the first time, or kissing someone or a couple making out in the park, I think everything is a little bit more public.

Espe: And finally, do you think that Spanish people are too loud and always shouting? 

Tim: (laugh) Sometimes yes, eh... it is not too common to hear people yelling and screaming over the phone or across the street but I think I have come to accept that fact, I really like it now. It seems that because of that Spanish people are more open, so I like it.



13 comments:

  1. You don't know how I laughed listening to your interview! The music is so original!! hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it has also been funny for us! The music has been perfectly chosen and I couldn´t help laughing! Besides, I have liked the topic of stereotypes, I think foreigner people have a wrong view of us and knowing an opinion from one of them has been so much interesting! Just one little thing, the scripts in which Nuria talks are missing, so please if you could insert them, I will be thankful. Good work, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment, Lola. I'm glad you liked it. It is true that Spain is very popular for some of its festivals, but it is not just that as so many people think.
    Nuria will write what is missing as soon as possible, so you can read the whole interview very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love our interview, I think it is very original and funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. finally you girls were right choosing the songs!!! Great for our group!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lola, I am sorry for being late.. however, my scripts were already written but due to personal reasons I couldn't upload them before today. Sorry again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! And don´t worry better late than never! haha. And again good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this podcast is fantastic !! it is very funny !! and what about the music...it is perfect !! congratulations !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your podcast!!! It's very funny and the topic is also interesting...I laughed quite a lot when I listened to it because the songs are also very nice hahahah good work!!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you Isa!! you are very nice!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely, my favourite podcast!!!!! First of all, because like Tim, I’m also a foreign person in Spain and this podcast help me to understand more things about Spanish people but what I really enjoyed the most was the music, which was cool, in fact was gorgeous, vey original and very representative for Spain, I LOVE IT!!!!! Good work! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks michaela! haha! we think it has been a funny experience that shows us what foreigners think about us and our country! :)

    ReplyDelete